Saturday, 12 March 2011

Tie the Knot in Thailand

The first thing to do is to check your country's Thailand Embassy website to get the latest information on marriage requirements. I am from the United States, so this is written from an American's perspective. Your experience may vary slightly.
At your country's Embassy website, there should be instructions and some forms to download and print out. Make sure these are properly filled out but do not sign if the form requires a notary.
I downloaded two forms. One was an affirmation stating that it was legal for me to get married in Thailand. The other was an affidavit stating that I had never married or if I had, I would have to provide the documentation that I was divorced or my spouse was deceased. You will need documentary evidence.
At the American Embassy you can either make an appointment or walk in and take a number. I opted for the appointment.
Plan to spend an entire day getting through all the bureaucracy. Your future spouse may tell you that it is impossible to get everything done in one day on your own. He or she will insist that you need to use the services of an agency that will cost anywhere from $200 to $1,000. Do not listen to this.
Arrive at your appointment early. If no appointment, get to the Embassy one hour prior to opening. Lines can be extremely long and most likely you will have to go through a security check similar to that at an airport. Leave unnecessary items in the hotel.
For me, I arrived at 8:00 A.M. for a 9:00 A.M. appointment and was seen promptly at 9:00. I handed over the two forms and was told to go to the cashier and pay for the notary and then come back with the receipt. This cost 1,020 Thai baht, or about $30.
Five minutes later, I had my forms and was headed out the door.
The next place you have to go to is the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). The lady at the U.S. Embassy was nice enough to provide taxi instructions in English and Thai for me. You will most likely be approached by someone offering translation services. Ignore them and get in a taxi for the MFA.
The taxi ride is fairly long to the Chaeng Wattana Immigration building. Once you arrive and go through security, head for the food court, and you will again be approached by one of many offering translation services. The going rate is 300 Thai baht or about $10. This takes about 30 minutes to have your two forms translated. Enjoy some Thai food.
The next stop is the Legalization Division on the third floor of the MFA building. Pay the 800 Thai baht or about $25 for one day service. We hand in our English and Thai forms and are told to come back in two hours. It actually takes about 3 and 1/2 hours but we are done here.
You still have one more step to make it all legal. You need to register at one of the Civil Registry Offices (Amphurs). My almost wife decided on the Bangrak Amphur as the Thai word "rak" means "love". Another taxi ride and we check in at the Amphur.
Our documents are copied, checked, stamped and filed a total of 6 times. We actually had to go to six different desks to have the same thing done over and over.
We finally made it to the last desk and paid our 40 Thai baht or about $1.25 and we were legally wed. The traditional ceremony, party and reception would follow in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment